Breaking news

Is Sonko’s political journey over?

Former Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko has been disqualified from running as governor on August 9th 2022. The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission IEBC says Sonko has been disqualified following his successful impeachment.

Addressing the media on Saturday, IEBC Chairman Wafula Chebukati said aspirants who have been previously impeached from public office stand disqualified from contesting in an election.

Sonko was removed from office by MCAs on December 17, 2020, a decision that was later ratified by the Senate and was eying the Mombasa gubernatorial seat on a Wiper ticket.


Also disqualified on grounds of having been impeached from office is former Kiambu Youth Executive Karungo Thang’wa who was set to vie for the Kiambu Senate seat on a UDA ticket.

“The Commission’s position is that Article 75 of the Constitution is self-speaking and self-executing…. Therefore the three aspirants who have been removed from public office through impeachment are disqualified from contesting in the elections,” said Chebukati.

Also affected is former Mombasa Water CEO Anthony Mkala Chitavi, who was seeking Mombasa Governorship, and former Karen Ward MCA David Mberia..

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button